Saturday, May 28, 2011

Dreams

There are a few things I want to make ... I most likely never will. The Venezia is one of these things. I attempted it a few years back, and was an abject failure. I would love to try again, but I really need to work on my tension when doing stranded color work. I don't know if it's because I knit English (working yarn held in right hand, which is also called the throw method: you have to kind of throw the yarn over the needle to wrap the stitch). I'd love to learn Continental; I do know how to do the knit stitch in Continental but always lose with the purl stitch. With that method you hold the working yarn with your left hand and to make a knit stitch you barely have to move your hands. My sister does this, and I wish I could. Stitches East is coming back to Hartford in the fall, and they have a learn to knit Continental course, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to take. I feel like that would make color work so much easier. Not as much of an opportunity to make some stitches tighter than others. Someday, I'll do the Venezia.That pattern also features steeking, which makes me want to throw up to think about : it's when you basically cut with SCISSORS the project you're working on to make a neckline, or something like that. You reinforce the stitches on either side by sewing before you cut. I find it is terrifying. I've never done it. I'm a terrible sewer (I made a god awful pillow in home ec in like 7th grade and that was the end of my sewing career) and am too paranoid to think my sewing would hold up.
I've taken to reading over the Barbara Walker Treasury of Knitting Patterns books and am intrigued by twisted stitch patterns. It's basically the lazy knitter's way to incorporate cables without the hassle of actually cabling by just doing right twists or left twists. It can actually be fun and does not have the moment of panic that happens when a stitch slides off the cable needle when you're working...sheer terror. I'm not crazy about cables in general. Lace and color work interest me more, but unfortunately I'm good at exactly neither of those things. Well, lace I suppose I'm OK at. I've made a couple of Springtime Bandits, which is a good place to start for a novice lace knitter. And the sweater I made for my cousin's baby had a lace panel as the bottom. That one actually came out pretty great. I know I posted a picture of it a while back, so I'm not going to now.
This blog is slowly becoming a stream of consciousness about knitting. While there is no problem with that, I'm wondering if I should actually have a point when I'm posting, instead of rambling until I get bored and decide to wrap it up and start knitting.
I'm bored now. I'll wrap it up and get back to knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment