Sunday, May 1, 2011

Progress...maybe?

I'm slowly working out of my knitting funk. There's a real issue with my knitting timing, I'm starting to think. It probably happens to everyone...but I seem to start knitting ridiculously heavy garments (cough cough Aidez cough cough) when it starts to get nice out, and then lose interest and only want to knit scarves/shawls (cough cough Swallowtail Shawl cough cough). I started the Swallowtail Shawl the other night and am already so much happier. I'm using Malabrigo Lace that I got at the Vogue Knitting convention in New York this past January (interesting, too expensive, no match for Stitches East, which is cheaper and was right down the street from where I work), and holding it doubled. Laceweight yarn is super intense and I have yet to finish anything with it. I hope that holding doubled will increase chances of actually finishing? Anyway. I'm on the fourth Budding Lace repeat and I'm loving it so far. It's only a 6 stitch repeat that adds one repeat everytime I finish the 6 row pattern..(I realize that must make no sense to a non-knitter - so: Lace is trixy in a way because you usually start from the top and keep adding stitches to make the final triangle shape. . This pattern in particular started from 5 stitches and will eventually be 323 stitches. You increase by doing yarn over stitches, which makes small holes in the fabric.) So, it's pretty easy to memorize. Also, it has a whole bunch of slip slip knit stitches (decreasing one stitch) which I find to be my favorite stitch to do, for some reason. I can't explain it.
Here's what the repeats look like up close:













I absolutely love this yarn. I always wanted to use Malabrigo yarns - they seem so decadent. This wasn't so bad - Each skein was $8, so $16 for a super awesome shawl handmade by this dame seems like a pretty good deal. I was never going to finish the Featherweight Cardigan, which is what I was originally going to use the Malabrigo for...That was making a full cardigan using 2 ply yarn? What the hell was I thinking? Also, this isn't what it will look like after I finish and block it...It will open up the lace even more. (Fingers crossed)

So Aidez has made it to the Yarn Nook...where it will hibernate until I'm ready to finish it. Yarn Nook (don't judge - it's semi-tidy):













If you look hard you can see it sleeping on my Emily the Strange tote bag (complete with Knit Princess button). At least it's not in the yarn room, which you can feel free to judge me for. It's a nightmare.














Side note, I don't know if I ever posted the picture of the cardigan I made for my cousin's baby who was born a few weeks early - used one skein of Berocco Ultra Alpaca Light (awesome yarn, per usual - it's Berocco) and the Helena Baby Sweater pattern.













So I HAVE finished stuff this year. Not as much as I thought I was going to...it was my New Year's Resolution to finish many projects this year, and I still have time. I fell off a bit because I kept putting off the Aidez. Maybe I wasn't meant to be knitting so many garments? I don't know. Scarves and shawls are so much easier...well, for the most part, anyway. I'm sure once I get around 200 stitches I'll be screaming at it and praying I won't mess up...because I never use lifelines when I knit lace. Which is what a lot of smart people do, but I never claimed to be a genius. Besides, I'd rather knit than start working lifelines into the equation. (Lifeline in knitting: threading a row with some waste yarn, so if you have an epic fail you can tear back a few rows instead of frogging the whole darn thing)

So, that is my general babbling for the evening. Hope you're still conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment