Saturday, June 11, 2011

Stuff! Here's stuff.

A few things I've found when organizing my photos.

My attempt this winter at a Mystery shawl, using my Skacel Lace (Impossible to use, btw. This is how far I got)
Mystery shawls/scarves have the pattern revealed a day at a time...keeps it interesting; but Skacel Lace is seriously impossible. It is basically knitting with sewing thread.

My second Bandit, which I made with Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light (acquired in a yarn swap with my sister); it was for my cousin's birthday last year...I screwed this one up, though. Was running out of yarn so I didn't complete the edge chart. I don't think you can tell. (Can you?)

This one I'd really like to finish someday...It was a last minute present, intended for my mother - the Backyard Leaves pattern It was a perfect storm. Cachemir Anny from Kir's trip to France (!), an asymmetrical pattern, just perfect. Need to finish this one.

Here is some work on the Aidez...


These were taken in my grandparents' backyard. My parents have owned the house basically since Ducky (my grandmother) passed away in 2006. Ducky was an avid knitter. The first picture on this post is an afghan she made. Papa made the fringe. I still wish I had been able to tell her about my knitting. I had started knitting a bit in 2003 - I made a garter stitch blanket in Thick 'n' Quick (dark, dark maroon) without a pattern. I didn't care to learn anything other than the knit stitch then. Giant yarn on giant needles was enough for me. When Ducky went to hospice, it wasn't like we weren't expecting it...she had cancer for as long as I can remember, but it had been in remission. So we spent time with her there...it was the same time I found out I was pregnant with what was her first great-grandchild. It was an extremely emotional time. I started thinking about getting into knitting when she was in hospice. The nurses gave us a prayer shawl. My first thought was...I want to do this for someone else. Someone made this. Someone thought, "I want to give comfort to someone that is in pain." I had barely been able to process my other grandmother dying 8 months before. That simple shawl is what inspired me. Creating a blanket, a shawl, a sweater, anything. Something you can give to someone you love. Something that is you. Something to be remembered by. When I think about knitting, my thoughts go to Ducky. Wanting to tell her that I finally got into it after all of these years. Wanting to ask her how she felt about Continental vs. English. What her favorite pattern was. Did she like knitting cables? Did she like knitting lace?
I can wish all I want that I had talked to her about it, that I started years ago, that she had known what she'd inspired. Regret is something I never want to feel. I think what I can take away from this reflection, rather than regretting I never shared knitting with her - was to be grateful that she had passed it on to my sister Kirsten, who kept the knitting going in the family, and now I've (and two of my other sisters) joined her in this ... I don't want to say hobby, because it's so much more than that. I have this to share with my sisters, and we're going to keep it going. It's in our blood; I'm fairly certain of that.

2 comments:

  1. Geez, I didn't mean to get all intense up in this joint. Sorry, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful Nev! I'm not crying at all :)

    ReplyDelete