Thursday, January 30, 2014

You bought a heartache

Or so the saying goes. Hunny, my family's beloved Hunny, went to the happy hunting grounds yesterday. My family and I have been in and out of crying jags since. Hunny was a sweetheart. Border Collie mix, she was 16 years old. The last year or so has been rough for her, but the last month was the hardest. She lost weight, hearing, and most of her sight. I said my goodbye to her Sunday, as she struggled to turn, and turn, and turn to lay in her bed in my parents' dining room. Her bed was a fuzzy rectangle, covered with pictures of bones. When she came into our lives, she was a pup. Training her as a pup was a trial. Newspapers, cursing, saying it wasn't their turn to clean up after her...but still. Lovable Hunny, with her little white snout, and her white "frilly cravat" was impossible to be mad at. Even when she ran into the swamp, came back smelling like garbage, she was never not loved. Her heyday was in Virginia. My parents had 5 acres in Clifton, two pastures in the front, one in the back. Hunny could run, and try to herd us all as much as she wanted. That's how I remember sweet Hunny. Running to her heart's content. We loved her. She was a wonderful dog. I always claimed that I wasn't a dog person, but Hunny was my exception. I love you Hunny. Sweet girl is at peace.

1 comment: